The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program is a transformative initiative that empowers academically talented and economically disadvantaged young people in Africa to pursue their educational aspirations and become changemakers in their communities. Launched in 2012 by the Mastercard Foundation, a philanthropic organization dedicated to advancing education and financial inclusion, the program has provided life-changing opportunities for thousands of students across the continent.
The Origin Of The Mastercard Foundation Scholarship
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program was born from the recognition that access to quality education is a fundamental human right and a powerful tool for driving positive change. With Africa facing a critical shortage of skilled professionals and limited access to higher education for many talented young people, the program aimed to address these challenges by creating a pipeline of future leaders who would contribute to Africa’s social and economic development.
Mastercard Foundation 2024 Scholarship Details
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program offers comprehensive support to its scholars, including:
- Full tuition fees: The program covers all tuition fees for the student’s chosen undergraduate degree program.
- Living stipend: Scholars receive a monthly allowance to cover their living expenses, such as accommodation, meals, and transportation.
- Travel costs: The program covers the costs of travel to and from the host university.
- Academic support: Scholars benefit from personalized academic support services, including tutoring, mentoring, and career counseling.
- Transition support: The program provides support to help scholars transition successfully into the workforce after graduation.
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program partners with leading universities across Africa and around the world. Some of the notable hosting universities include:
- McGill University (Canada)
- University of Toronto (Canada)
- University of British Columbia (Canada)
- University of Oxford (United Kingdom)
- Sciences Po (France)
- University of Melbourne (Australia)
- University of Cape Town (South Africa)
- Makerere University (Uganda)
- University of Nairobi (Kenya)
- University of Ghana (Ghana)
Documents Required During Application
The application process for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program typically requires the following documents:
- Completed application form: This form will ask for information about your personal background, academic qualifications, and financial need.
- Official transcripts: You will need to submit transcripts from all secondary and post-secondary institutions you have attended.
- Standardized test scores: Depending on the program, you may be required to submit standardized test scores such as SAT or ACT.
- Letters of recommendation: You will need to submit letters of recommendation from teachers, mentors, or community leaders.
- Financial aid documentation: You will need to provide documentation of your financial need.
- Personal statement: This is your opportunity to tell the selection committee more about yourself, your goals, and why you believe you would be a good fit for the program.
Mastercard Foundation 2024 Scholarship Worth/Benefits
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program offers a comprehensive package of benefits that go beyond financial support. Scholars also gain access to:
- Leadership development programs: These programs help scholars develop the skills and knowledge they need to become effective leaders.
- Mentorship opportunities: Scholars are paired with mentors who provide guidance and support throughout their academic journey.
- Networking opportunities: Scholars have the opportunity to connect with other high-achieving students and professionals from around the world.
- Global learning experiences: Scholars may participate in study abroad programs or international conferences.
Supporting Documents For Application
In addition to the required documents, there are other documents you can submit to strengthen your application, such as:
- Awards and achievements: List any awards, scholarships, or other achievements you have received.
- Extracurricular activities: Describe your involvement in extracurricular activities, such as clubs, sports, or volunteer work.
- Work experience: If you have any work experience, be sure to list it on your application.
- Community service: Describe your involvement in community service projects.
- Essays: Some programs may require you to submit additional essays on specific topics.
To be eligible for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program, you must:
- Be a citizen of a Sub-Saharan African country.
- Have completed secondary school.
- Demonstrate academic talent and leadership potential.
- Have a strong financial need.
- Be committed to returning to your home country after graduation to contribute to its development.
Mastercard Foundation Scholarship Application Deadlines
Application deadlines for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program vary depending on the host university. It is important to check the program website for the specific deadline for your desired program.
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program is a life-changing opportunity for young people in Africa who have the potential to become leaders in their communities. By providing access to quality education and comprehensive support, the program empowers scholars to pursue their dreams and contribute to a brighter future for Africa.
If you have any related questions about this Mastercard Foundation scholarship or need further clarification feel free to make use of the comments section while our representative gets back to you.
In light of this, do not hesitate to join our communities of active learners on telegram and also enjoy the benefits of receiving the latest information on scholarships. CLICK HERE to join for free,